Xbox Series consoles celebrated Christmas with the highest sales since the launch of Xbox Series consoles in 2020.
As with all manufacturers, Xbox has been facing a parts shortage problem since last year. Phil Spencer has released his estimate that the shortage of resources will still be present in 2022, but that’s not stopping the public from getting excited about the latest console. After all, the UK figures for December speak for themselves: the Xbox series had its best month ever in the UK.
As reported by Gamesindustry based on GfK data, 560,000 consoles were sold in December, a figure that includes all current platforms. Specifically, the Xbox Series, the next-generation console, managed to break the one million units mark in the UK.
Although the report doesn’t give specific numbers, it states that Xbox Series sales were up 108% compared to November 2021 results, repeating the strong demand Phil Spencer spoke about.
In terms of other devices, the Nintendo Switch continues to strengthen its lead following a successful November, with sales up 6% in the final month of the year. For Sony, it is in third place with a 28% increase, giving the console its second-best month ever in the UK, with the highest sales figure coming at the launch of the PS5 2020.
What about games? FIFA 22 and Call of Duty: Vanguard were once again the stars of the party, but GTA V wasn’t far behind in the Top 20. On the other hand, F1 2021 came fourth in the list of most popular games, followed by Just Dance 2022 and Spider-Man: Miles Morales. Beyond that, and as always, we continue to see titles such as Mario Kart 8: Deluxe and the successful remakes of Pokémon Diamond and Pearl, which have not left the charts since their release. Below is the list of the top 20 best-selling games in the UK in December.
Best-selling games in the UK:
- FIFA 22 (EA)
- Call of Duty: Vanguard (Activision Blizzard)
- Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar)
- F1 2021 (Codemasters)
- Just Dance 2022 (Ubisoft)
- Spider-Man: Miles Morales (Sony)
- Battlefield 2042 (EA)
- Mario Kart 8: Deluxe (Nintendo)*
- Pokémon Shiny Diamond (Nintendo)*
- Far Cry 6 (Ubisoft)
- Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy (Square Enix)
- Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition (Mojang/Nintendo)
- Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar)
- Riders Republic (Ubisoft)
- New Horizons (Nintendo)*
- Pokémon Shimmering Pearl (Nintendo)*
- Mortal Kombat 11 (Warner Bros)
- Assassin’s Creed Valhalla (Ubisoft)
- LEGO Harry Potter Collection (Warner Bros)
- Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy Definitive Edition (Rockstar)
*Digital sales not available