SIE chief Jim Ryan has publicly expressed concerns about Call of Duty’s future under Microsoft.
PlayStation boss Jim Ryan reportedly flew to Brussels last month to meet with European Union regulators, who are currently investigating Microsoft’s proposed acquisition of Activision Blizzard.
According to Dealreporter’s sources, the CEO of Sony Interactive Entertainment personally visited EU headquarters on 8 September to voice the console rival’s concerns over the proposed $68.7 billion deal.
As has been widely publicised in recent weeks, PlayStation and Jim Ryan’s concerns over the deal revolve around the future release rules for the Call of Duty series – regularly PlayStation’s annual bestseller – and whether it will be taken off their platforms.
According to the same sources, Google has also raised its concerns with EU regulators.
Last month, Xbox boss Phil Spencer said Microsoft was committed to making Call of Duty available on PlayStation for “a few more years” after Sony’s current marketing deal with Activision expires.
However, SIE CEO Jim Ryan, who reportedly wants access to future Call of Duty games on equal terms and in perpetuity, has publicly responded by calling Microsoft’s proposal to keep the series on PlayStation consoles “inadequate on many levels.”
Later that month, Sony welcomed the news that the UK competition watchdog had launched a thorough investigation into Microsoft’s Activision Blizzard deal.
“By giving Microsoft control of Activision games like Call of Duty, this deal would have major negative implications for gamers and the future of the gaming industry,” Sony said.
“We want to guarantee PlayStation gamers continue to have the highest quality gaming experience, and we appreciate the CMA’s focus on protecting gamers.”
The current Call of Duty deal between Sony and Activision is believed to cover this year’s Modern Warfare 2 and Warzone 2 games, as well as a new game from Black Ops developer Treyarch, which is not due until 2024.
“If it’s about competition, let us have competition,” says Satya Nadella about their confidence in the deal.
The latest report comes after Microsoft formally submitted its case to the European Commission over Activision’s proposed takeover of Blizzard, which explains Jim Ryan’s sudden trip to Brussels.
In a submission on Friday, the European competition watchdog confirmed that it had given a provisional deadline of 8 November to approve the $68.7 billion deal or face a second, more detailed phase of the investigation.
In the coming weeks, the European Commission will analyse the deal in a so-called “Phase I” investigation.
Source: Dealreporter (via Hobbyconsolas)